You'll Heart Our New February Valentine's Math Activity Calendar
Our new kids calendar has arrived with math games and holidays your kids are sure to love! Celebrate Clean Out Your Computer Day on February 8th and Random Acts of Kindness Day on February 17. And, of course, you can help your kids count their valentines and find ways to sort them on February 14th.
This month, the theme is ‘I Heart Math’, so we provided a few tips to help your kids to love math.
Help your child learn to love math
- Make math fun and fascinating part of everyday life. With a little thought, you can find the math in everything from shopping and cooking, to setting the table, to sorting pairs of socks! Focus on fun math facts and trivia and teach them the stories behind notable mathematicians. This month, take your kids to a math and science museum in your area.
- Even if you struggled with math as a student, don’t let any negative feelings you might have influence your children. If you love math, or at least appreciate how important it is, be sure to communicate that, and your kids will too. Create a positive learning environment and help your child practice math on a regular basis.
- Understand what math concepts your child should be learning at every age. You can learn all about them in the DreamBox Math Growth Chart, which describes math skills that kids should have and includes tips for games and activities that will aid in their development.
- Use math manipulatives! Manipulatives are designed so that a student can learn a mathematical concept by manipulating it. DreamBox offers virtual manipulatives for kindergartners, first graders and second graders that teachers, homeschoolers, and parents can use free in the classroom or at home.
- Read math storybooks to your child! Check out our picks of the best math storybooks for a few wonderful suggestions.
We hope you enjoy our free Math Activity Calendar. Have a fantastic February!
Latest posts by @DreamBox_Learn (see all)
- Celebrate Fibonacci Day! - November 23, 2016
- Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month: Five Hispanic and Latino Mathematicians - October 12, 2016
- Classroom Resources to Celebrate Ada Lovelace Day! - October 10, 2016