Vote for Jessie Woolley-Wilson to Speak at SXSWedu 2014
After an outstanding session at SXSWedu 2013 it’s our goal to get her back on the stage this year. But we need your help! We invite you to participate in the SXSW PanelPicker voting process, and to help solidify Jessie’s spot as a speaker.
Vote to hear Jessie talk about the future of education and how change can make a difference.
Topic: “Break Down These Walls!”
Changing expectations, fueled by technology, are eroding the bricks and mortar of our schools. Erosion is often considered a negative result, but in this case, it’s a catalyst for positive change. We have been encouraged to evaluate how 21st century children learn—and it’s not the same as students learned a decade ago. Today, more than half of all children under the age of eight consume digital media on mobile devices at home, many of them encountering hands-on digital technologies before saying their first word. These technologies have become components of their identities. These same devices, along with Intelligent Adaptive Learning tools, are now building the bridge across the chasm in education. The classrooms of the future are poised to sit in students’ hands and be directed by the touch of a finger—anytime, anywhere. Self-driven and self-architected learning will reach ever more personalized levels as learning technologies continue to develop. Traditional school walls will fall and be rebuilt with a combination of real and virtual bricks, paving the way to a 24/7 on-demand learning environment where high expectations lead to high performance.
Additional Supporting Materials:
- Read an article by Jessie about technology and change in today’s classroom
- Check out her blog and make sure to follow along on Twitter (@jessieww) for regular updates.
- As the learning environment expands beyond the walls of traditional classrooms, how will the roles of teachers change?
- Does access to 24/7 on-demand mobile learning help close the achievement gap, or does it widen it?
- How does “free-range” learning ensure that kids are meeting the rigorous requirements of the Common Core State Standards?
Latest posts by @DreamBox_Learn (see all)
- 3 Ways to Support Teachers Year-Round - May 11, 2017
- Fast Insights for Education Leaders Short on Time - May 4, 2017
- How Are Teachers Using Digital Content to Differentiate Instruction? - April 25, 2017