Intelligent Adaptive Learning: An Essential Element of 21st Century Teaching and Learning
One of today’s next generation technology innovations now available to schools is intelligent adaptive learning (IAL), which serves to individualize and, to some extent, personalize learning for each student. Intelligent adaptive learning is defined as digital learning that immerses students in modular learning environments where every decision a student makes is captured, considered in the context of sound learning theory, and then used to guide the student’s learning experiences, to adjust the student’s path and pace within and between lessons, and to provide formative and summative data to the student’s teacher.
This type of learning tailors instruction to each student’s unique needs, current understandings, and interests, while ensuring that all responses subscribe to sound pedagogy.
The intent of this paper is to provide a context for understanding the role that IAL can play in raising the achievement of all students by meeting the individual learning needs of each student in PreK–12 schools—and the research base required if school districts are to invest wisely in IAL systems.
The IAL System is Designed To
- Serve as a personal tutor to the student
- Adapt the sequencing of the curriculum and associated learning experiences
- Individualize the pace of learning
- Regulate cognitive load for the student
- Engage students in learning through gaming
Technology Meets The Learning Sciences
Zone Of Optimized Learning
Intelligent Adaptive Learning
The 2 Sigma Challenge
- Can We Get The Learning Results
- Attainable Through Tutoring, But
- In A Cost Effective Way?
The Research Behind Intelligent Adaptive Learning
A Look In The Black Box
- The effectiveness of tutoring through a continuous stream of intelligent feedback to the user, the system, and the teacher
- Individualized sequencing of the curriculum and associated learning experiences for each student
- The individualized pace of learning
- The regulation of cognitive load
- Student engagement through gaming