Four Out of School (OST) Math Programs to Raise Achievement
Want to print this? Click here to download a high-resolution PDF of the infographic.
Though slowly improving over time, the most recent national assessments indicate that about six out of every ten 4th and 8th grade students are still not working at grade level in mathematics. What can we do to accelerate the impact schools have on these rates of student proficiency?
Districts, schools, and teachers taxed with too little time to effectively address the individual needs of all students during the school day can find ways to support the continued growth of each student and effectively close significant gaps by thinking differently about when and where learning happens. Children spend about 20 percent of their waking time annually in formal classroom education. Making use of some of the remaining 80 percent of their time by exploring and enhancing learning in out of school time (OST) settings can make a substantial difference in learner’s present achievement and future success.
The Harvard Family Research Project’s review paper, The Federal Role in Out-of-School Learning: After-School, Summer Learning, and Family Involvement as Critical Learning Supports, notes “Educators, policymakers, and families increasingly agree: schools cannot do it alone. Children need multiple opportunities to learn and grow—at home, in school, and in the community.” The same study cites reports such as Evaluation of Enhanced Academic Instruction in After-School Programs and the Study of Promising After-School Programsthat show it’s possible to make significant gains in math test scores, particularly for low-income and minority students.
Schools are using OST programs in blended models across the country with great success, many of them using DreamBox Learning Math. Want to get started or expand your own programs? This infographic features four OST math programs to help students connect to what is going on in the classroom and help students, especially those at risk, reach proficiency. For more details, download the white paper Four OST Math Programs to Raise Achievement that provides more research, best practices, case studies, and funding resources you can use to deepen student understanding, improve confidence, and raise mathematics achievement.
Want to use this? Embed it on your website with the following HTML
Latest posts by @DreamBox_Learn (see all)
- DreamBox Learning® Now Connects to Quantile Framework® for Mathematics to Support Differentiation and Improve Student Learning - November 1, 2019
- DreamBox Learning Expands Reach in Schools and Districts Across the U.S. - October 25, 2019
- Where to Start When Evaluating Digital Curriculum - February 12, 2018