Vote for Doc Tim Hudson to Speak at SXSWedu 2014
Having spent 10 years in public education, Tim has insights into the importance of design and pedagogy for schools and software. To help give him the chance to talk at SXSW about improving schools, edtech, and student achievement vote here.
Topic: Hype or Hope? The EdTech Elephant in the Classroom
Much of the hype about educational technology is unbelievable if you’ve ever taught in a classroom or been a school leader. This hype stems from the fact that edtech providers often don’t involve teachers in their product development and usually don’t design according to research-based principles about how students learn. Given the real challenges facing schools and classrooms, edtech providers must be better partners with educators in order to design digital experiences that improve understanding for all students. At the same time, educators need to realize how the design of many schools and classrooms unintentionally creates real barriers to student achievement. In the end, the quality of digital learning is just as important as the quality of classroom learning. Both can improve. And they’re better together. This session will address school realities, the edtech hype, and include a conversation about the hope for how our schools and technology can improve learning for all students.
- How can we distinguish between hype, hope, and reality when considering the strengths and limitations of educational technologies?
- What are the realities and challenges facing traditional brick-and-mortar schools that must be confronted – both by schools and technology – if we are to guarantee the success of all students?
- What should be our hopes and aspirations for the successful learning and education of all students in the 21st century (or any century)?
Latest posts by @DreamBox_Learn (see all)
- DreamBox Learning Now Aligns to All State Standards - January 7, 2020
- DreamBox Learning® Now Connects to Quantile Framework® for Mathematics to Support Differentiation and Improve Student Learning - November 1, 2019
- DreamBox Learning Expands Reach in Schools and Districts Across the U.S. - October 25, 2019